Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mars and Venus United by Love at the Met

Not taken with my camera but downloaded from www.metmuseum.org
This painting was done by Paolo Veronese (1528-1588). As I was visiting the museum with my boyfriend instead of my sister, it caught my eye. Notice how Cupid is tying the leg of Mars (God of War) to Venus (Goddess of Love) with a love knot!









Notice also how the horse of Mars is being restrained, promoting harmony and goodwill.
Veronese was considered a master of light and color. It is hard to tell by these pictures but Mars is wearing a beautiful satin cloak and Venus is wearing pearls around her neck and in her hair. It's also hard to see but milk is also flowing from the breast of Venus which symbolizes the nurturing effects of love.
My boyfriend was more interested in the Hungarian swords and shields of the 1500's in the Arms and Armor section - need I say more?













3 comments:

  1. Your last sentence made me laugh out loud... :-)

    Great painting you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the few hours I was there was not enough. The way you capture what is going on in the background and bring importantance to it was good. A must see when I re-visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check this out at the Met. Very Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete