Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Florence Griswold Museum





Hello gang - today I went to the Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, CT. It was cold and windy and at first, I was a little bit disappointed by it. It was so small compared to some of the museums I have been going to these last few weeks. Absolutely no pictures allowed of anything inside the museum and the presence of the casually dressed guards made sure you didn't get too close. I invite you all to read my blog at http:///www.hmcole.blogspot.com.


Many, many thanks to docents Lorraine Lieberman and Gerry Hallgren who spent 2 hours with me inside Florence Griswold's house explaining Tonalism and American Impressionism and telling me the story of Miss Florence's life. As Childe Hassam said in 1906 - "just the place for high thinking and low living" as they painted their landscapes along the Lieutenant River.


Take the time and check out the four beautifully decorated Christmas trees. I especially liked the silver and gold glass tree by artist Jeff P'An which is upstairs in one of the bedrooms. There is also a tree entitled "A Wooden Wonderland" by Craig Nelson, a woodworker and furniture maker. He used leftover wood from the common to the exotic to the historic - there were leftover pieces from the Amistad and the room just smelled so great - like an old cedar closet.


I want to go back in the summer to check out the gardens and if any of you are interested, I was a given a coupon to use before January 4, 2009. I am headed to the Met this Friday - can't wait.
Everyone have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting that you got to see this place! I would have to make time to go check this museum out during the spring. Also, its unfortunate that there are no pictures allowed! However, I like the idea of the decorated trees, I love Christmas trees! I'm glad you made the best of it, even if it was small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... 2 hrs with the Docents... that is special and wouldn't happen at a large museum....

    ReplyDelete